Located between 17 ‘34’ N and 96 ‘35’ E in Bago and Waw Townships of Bago Division.
40 square miles.
3. Year of Establishment
Established in 1986
70 mites from Yangon along the Yangon -Bago- Pyinpongyi Highway.
- To conserve resident and migratory water birds and their habitats.
- To conduct scientifie research on resident and migratory water birds in cooperation with international scientific organizations.
- To organize extension programmes to educate the public on the importance of wetland ecosystem and public participation in wetland conservation activities.
6. Forest / Vegetative Types
More then twenty species of aquatic and herb ( Emergent macrophytes ) including kaing grass and water are present in the sanctuary and Notsaba ( Oxyza officinalis) grow particular in shallow area of the sanctuary. Especially Kaing grassland are the most suitable breeding ground for water birds.
- Water bird species - (42) Nos
- Shore bird species - (33) Nos
- According to the census conducted in January, 1998 it is noted that a total number of (4529)
- Birds inhabited the Moeyingyi wetland wildlife sanctuary.
8. Conservation, Development and Research Programmes
- Conservation of water birds and their habitats.
- Conducting research on resident and migratory water birds in cooperation with international scientific organizations and conservation and management training courses.
- Implementation of wetland conservation and management programmes.
- Construction of basic infrastructure such as an information center, a rest house, a restaurant and two bird observation towers needed for the promotion of ecotourism and in joint-venture with a privately owned company, Shweyiwin Co. Ltd, to promote ecotourism.
9. Opportunities for Study and Recreation
- Watching resident and migratory water birds and enjoyment of natural view near Yangon.
- Conducting research activities on wetland ecosystem.
- Study wetland environment by coat.
- Accommodation for 5 to 10 persons at a guest house.
- Nine boat-shaped timber houses accommodating two in each room.