The Sanctuary on Mane Mahla Island is in Bogalay Township, in Ayeyawady Division. The Mane Mahla Island Sanctuary and forests on it are very close to the sea. The island itself is in the centre of the tidal Bogalay River in the east and Kadonkani River in the west. Located between 22 ‘O’ N and 96 ‘30’ E in Pyin Oo Lwin Town of Mandalay Division.
3. Year of Establishment
Established in 1915.
- Yangon via Mandalay to Pyin Oo Lwin,472 mile by car.
- Yangon to Mandalay , 400 miles by air and Mandalay to Pyin Oo Lwin, 42 miles by car.
- To serve as a recreation center for the public.
- To carry out educational activities related to conservation of trees and forests so that people will become interested and appreciate the vales of tree and flowers.
- To assist botanists and researchers with their studies.
- To collect and reproduce rare and endangered plant species for their perpetual existence, conduct research activities and assist the development of ecotourism industry.
6. Forest / Vegatative Types
- Forest trees (big species) : about 344 species.Total number of trees : about 5000.
- Indigenous orchids : 42 species.
- Rose : 25 species.
- Crinun amoenum (land lily) : 6 species
- Natural Forest Area : 42 acres
Inland indigenous birds (resident forest birds ), reptiles , small mammal species and insects are present .
8. Conservation, Development and Research Programmes
- Conservstion of tree already planted.
- Additional planting of tree species which are ecologrcally adaptable .
- Maintenance and improvement of completed land scaping activities with advanced technology.
- Implementation of educational programmes in environment and nature conservation.
9. Opportunities for Study and Recreation
- Study and research activities relating to Botany.
- Rest and recreation.