Located between 23 36 Nand 92 32 E in Kanbula Township of Sagaing Division.
103.55 square miles.
3. Year of Establishment
Established in 1941.
- Yangon via Mandalay to Chatthin , 502 miles by rail.
- Yangon via Mandalay to Shwebo, 577 miles by car , Shwebo to Chatthin, 80 miles by car.
- To conserve and protect the Dry Forest Ecosystem and related biological species .
- To conserve one of the World’s endangered animals , Thamin spp. ( Cervus eldi Thamin )which can be found only in Myanmar and to maintain an optimum number for the existence of this species .
- To establish an out- door laboratory to study the ecology of Thamin and the biodiversity.
- To establish a center for public recreation and natural environmental education .
- To upgrade the sanctuary to promote ecotourism.
6. Forest/Vegetative Types
- Low Indaing Forests
- High Indaing Forests
- Flooded Indaing Forests
- Upper Mixed Deciduous Forests
- Grass Savanna Matric Forests
Macaca species, barking deer, wild dog leopard cat species , bat and Guano species, amphibian species and 158 of birds and approximately 1530 number of Thamin reside in the park.
8. Medicinal Plants and Herbs
Altogether 69 species of medicinal plants and herbs have been recorded in the latest inventory survey.
9. Conservarion, Development and Research Programmes
- Conservatioin of wildlife and natural forests.
- Establishment of natural regeneration and plantation in the buffer- zone and taungya encroachment areas.
- Construction of rest house in Kye -In to facilitate ecotourism schemes.
- Education works for conserving natural ecology with the assistance and aid of the Smithsonion Institution from the United State of America.
- With the assistance and aid of Smithsonian Institution,
- Commencing from 1995, research works on data collection by Radio-telemetry and other advance techniques have been carried out for the World endangered species; Thamin and its ecology.
- Research work on Dry Forest habitat species and their phonological characteristics are being conducted.
- Commencing from 1996, Bird banding survey on the occurrence and movement of resident forest birds in the dry forest have been carried out.
- Initiating insect survey since October, 1998.
- Commencing from April, 1998, research on Herpeto -fauna has been carried out.
- Initiation insect survey since October,1998.
- Commencing from April , 1998, research on-Taw Hkwe and other carnivorous. Wild dogs, the main predators to Thamin ,are being carried out.
- Establishment of a small biodiversity museum with survey works, research works and collection of data and scientific specimens.
10. Opportunities for Study and Recreation
- Study of the Dry Forest ecosystem.
- Enjoyment of the natural beauty of the famous Kye-In wetland.
- Study on the advanced research works on wildlife.
- Study on the medicinal plants, climbers and biodiversity museum in Chatthin Wildlife sanctuary.
- Rest house in San Myaung and another temporary building , each of which can accomodate 4 guests.